This ‘Minority Report’ Spoof With Donald Trump Is Too Close To Reality For Us

Tom Cruise’s 2002 sci-fi flick “The Minority Report” was supposed to be a cautionary tale about how people can be convicted of crimes before they’re committed.
As chilling as that movie was, it’s a hell of a lot sc…

DHS Chief: Obama Did ‘Nothing’ to ‘Truly’ Secure Border

H-1b
The U.S.-Mexico international boundary, under former President Barack Obama, was a “very, very open border almost” and illegals aliens “understood” they could enter the United States and blend into the population, Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Secretary John Kelly tells CNN, noting that is no longer the case.

30 Years Ago, Bill Murray Called A Full Cubs Game And It Was Glorious

Most people know Bill Murray’s affection for the Cubs from his antics during last year’s legendary season, when the team broke the curse and won their first championship since 1908.

Back in April of 1987 ― 30 years ago this week ― Murray was still hanging around Wrigley Field, cheering on his favorite team, much to the delight of … well, anyone watching.

While subbing in for Hall Of Fame announcer Harry Caray, Murray joined broadcaster Steve Stone for a full game against the then Montreal Expos.

The commentary that follows should be featured somewhere in the Hall Of Fame at Cooperstown if it isn’t already. Below is a video of some of the highlights.

— This feed and its contents are the property of The Huffington Post, and use is subject to our terms. It may be used for personal consumption, but may not be distributed on a website.

Erdogan Plans World Tour, Including Trump Visit, Following Turkish Referendum Power Grab

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan will visit China, Russia, India, and the United States, as well as make stops in Europe during a world tour next month intended to rehabilitate his public image after a controversial referendum vote greatly expan…

Gunman Attacks Regional Russian Security Service Office, Kills Two

Russia’s Federal Security Service said on Friday that a gunman had burst into one of its regional offices in the far east of the country and opened fire, killing one of its employees and a visitor.
The region where the incident happened is close …

A Woman Announced Her Pregnancy With A Unicorn Frappuccino

A woman in Arizona has taken the Unicorn Frappuccino craze to a new level.

A Starbucks barista named Julie Renee tweeted a photo of the colorful drink with the words “you’re gonna be a dad” written on the cup.

“A customer ordered this to tell her husband that she’s pregnant,” she wrote in the tweet.

A customer ordered this to tell her husband that she’s pregnant ❤️ #unicornfrappuccino pic.twitter.com/jzN79O7ZdO

— ♡Young and in Love♡ (@crabbybutcute) April 19, 2017

Renee told People the customer had just found out she was pregnant and stopped by Starbucks to pick up the Unicorn Frappuccino on her way to tell her husband.

“The lady just came through our drive thru at Starbucks and asked us to write on it for her!” she said. “So we did, and we tried to make it extra pretty for the news as well.”

It seems the expectant mother passed on getting a second frappuccino for herself, and based on the reviews of the drink, we can’t say we blame her (and can’t imagine it would help with the whole morning sickness thing).

Congratulations to the parents-to-be!

— This feed and its contents are the property of The Huffington Post, and use is subject to our terms. It may be used for personal consumption, but may not be distributed on a website.

Google Launches Anti-‘Fake News’ and ‘Hate Speech’ Workshops for Teens

Google has launched a new series of workshops which aim to teach teenagers how to tackle “fake news” and “hate speech.”

Supreme Court Rejects Challenge Over Merrick Garland Nomination, Shows Why ‘Emoluments’ Suit Against Trump Will Fail

On Monday morning, the U.S. Supreme Court declined to review the case of Michel v. McConnell, where the courts below rejected a citizen’s effort to… Read More

The post Supreme Court Rejects Challenge Over Merrick Garland Nomination, Shows Why ‘Emoluments’ Suit Against Trump Will Fail appeared first on The Daily Signal.

Uninsured Americans Are Just 1 Traumatic Injury Away From Financial Ruin

(Reuters Health) – When a badly injured patient rolls into the emergency room, Dr. John Scott doesn’t ask to see proof of insurance. Instead, he immediately begins treatment.

Hospital care frequently saves patients from gunshots, stab wounds, crushing car accidents and other traumatic injuries. But Scott found in a new study that 7 out of 10 adult uninsured trauma patients suffer another debilitating injury: financial catastrophe.

“We’re getting better at trauma, and they’re going home financially ruined,” Scott said in a phone interview.

“Everyone in America’s at risk for an accidental injury, and not everyone’s protected from the financial consequences,” said Scott, lead author of the study and a surgery resident at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston.

The study, reported in Annals of Surgery, is the first to couple data on U.S. trauma admissions with Census Bureau data on income to evaluate the risks of catastrophic health expenses.

Researchers analyzed 117,502 hospital admissions for uninsured 18- to 64-year-olds admitted for trauma care from 2007 to 2011, before implementation of the Affordable Care Act.

Overall, half the patients had an estimated annual income below $40,867, and half had hospital charges of at least $27,420, not counting charges from doctors, who bill separately.

In other words, one unforeseen major injury could potentially cost well over half of someone’s annual income.

Previous studies have examined the impact of hospitalizations on so-called medical bankruptcies. But most who file for bankruptcy in the aftermath of medical crises are middle-class Americans with health insurance, the authors write, while the poorest uninsured often never declare bankruptcy.

To capture poorer uninsured Americans, Scott used the “catastrophic health expenditure” metric, which the World Health Organization uses to compare out-of-pocket expenses to income.

Scott defined catastrophic health spending as out-of-pocket health costs that were more than 40 percent of a patient’s income after they paid for food.

By that definition, nearly 71 percent of uninsured 18- to 64-year-old trauma patients – or more than 82,000 men and women – risk financial calamity every year.

Patients with the lowest incomes were at highest risk – 78 percent – of destitution. But even those with the highest incomes had a 53 percent risk of a medically induced fiscal catastrophe, the study found.

Dr. David Himmelstein, a professor at the City University of New York’s Hunter College School of Public Health, described the study as “quite sophisticated.” It “paints an extraordinarily disturbing picture of America’s vulnerability,” he said in an email.

“This study shows that someone who is in a car accident, or is mugged, or experiences sudden trauma for some other reason, risks being driven to financial ruin,” he added.

“In essence, unless you’re Bill Gates, you could be at risk of financial catastrophe if you fall seriously ill,” said Himmelstein, who was not involved with the study.

The uninsured are not the only ones suffering the consequences of catastrophic health expenditures, Scott said. When hospitals fail to collect, they pass the costs onto paying customers and health-insurance companies, he said.

“More uncompensated care leads to higher costs for everybody else,” he said.

“For clinicians, it’s important to consider the financial strain as a complication of trauma care. Survival is not the only measure of good care,” he said.

But when a patient asks him how much a CT scan will cost, he has no idea.

Scott’s message to lawmakers considering changes to the Affordable Care Act: “Financial catastrophe is a reality for tens of thousands of Americans who haven’t planned for it. They’re being cured, but being cured into destitution.”

“There’s nobody we turn away for emergency trauma care. We don’t check people’s insurance status. We don’t check their wallet,” he said. “If everybody is deserving of world-class trauma care, everybody is deserving of protection from financial catastrophe from that care.”

 

SOURCE: bit.ly/2oUGABo Annals of Surgery, online April 7, 2017.

— This feed and its contents are the property of The Huffington Post, and use is subject to our terms. It may be used for personal consumption, but may not be distributed on a website.

More Than 1.5 Million Children Are At Risk Of ‘Horrific Abuse’ In Central Congo

Extreme violence in the Democratic Republic of Congo’s greater Kasaï region has left more than 1.5 million children vulnerable to “horrific abuse,” including physical brutality, kidnapping, rape and execution, the United Nations warned Friday. 

Some 600,000 boys and girls have already been forced to flee their homes in the impoverished area of central Congo, where tensions have erupted between government forces and tribal militias.

The conflict in Kasaï-Central and Kasaï-Oriental provinces has been escalating since the start of the Kamwina Nsapu uprising last summer. Jean Pierre Mpandi, also known as Kamwina Nsapu, launched a violent rebellion in June to challenge the government of President Joseph Kabila, who refused to step down at the end of his term.

Nsapu was killed while leading an attack against state security forces in Kasaï-Central province in August. His militia group, which reportedly includes several fighters under the age of 13, has since intensified its deadly campaign. There have also been reported clashes between other native and non-native groups, fueling ongoing mass displacement.

In the past week alone, violence and intercommunity chaos have internally displaced some 62,000 people in the Kasaï provinces, bringing the total number of internally displaced persons to 1.09 million, according to the U.N.’s latest situation report for the region.

#DRC: #Kasai violence drives over 11,000 Congolese to seek refuge in Angola – watch @Refugees spox @iBabarBaloch brief Geneva press today pic.twitter.com/uTMTpz3qLv

— UN Geneva (@UNGeneva) April 21, 2017

During a recent visit to the city of Kananga in the Kasaï region, Tajudeen Oyewale of UNICEF had the opportunity to speak with former militia members aged 14 to 17.

“What was most striking for me was my exchange with the children who have been exposed [to violence],” Oyewale later told The Huffington Post. “They described the fear and the struggle they’re going through to reintegrate back into society now, and the concern of acceptance after leaving the militia.”

“I could see in them the aspiration of wanting to be somebody different in life now,” he went on, noting that because of the violent conflict in the region, the teens he spoke to could end up grappling with mental health issues long after the crisis itself has ended. “Having been through what they’ve been through, moving forward remains a challenge.”

UNICEF reports that it has secured the release of 384 children who were detained or enrolled in militias in the Kasaïs, but it says some 2,000 are still being used as fighters.

The international rights group also estimates that hundreds of children in the region have been seriously injured by violence, thousands have been separated from their families, and more than 350 schools have been destroyed.

Some parents in the Kasaïs have responded by pulling their children out of school, sacrificing formal education for safety, according to local media reports.

 

Just weeks ago, the remains of two U.N. researchers, Michael Sharp and Zaida Catalan, and their Congolese interpreter, Betu Tshintela, were found in Kasaï-Central province. They had been investigating widespread allegations of human rights abuses by the Congolese army and local militia groups. The government of Congo blamed their deaths on the Kamwina Nsapu militia. 

On Wednesday, the U.N. confirmed the discovery of 17 new mass grave sites in Kasaï, bringing the regional total to 40. U.N. investigators have accused the Congolese military of digging some of the graves after killing more than 100 people while fighting the Kamwina Nsapu militia last month. Dozens of children were among the dead.

Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein, the U.N.’s high commissioner for human rights, called on the government of Congo to conduct an independent, transparent investigation.

“The discovery of yet more mass graves and the reports of continued violations and abuses highlight the horror that has been unfolding in the Kasaïs over the last nine months,” Al Hussein said. “Should there be no effective national investigation, I will not hesitate to urge the international community to support an investigation by an international mechanism.”

UNICEF is calling for $20.6 million to address the crisis. Oyewale said immediate aid is essential to prevent further deterioration in the Kasaïs.

“We’ve been able to mobilize some initial funding, but we’re working to upscale [our efforts] quickly,” he said. “Children cannot wait.”

— This feed and its contents are the property of The Huffington Post, and use is subject to our terms. It may be used for personal consumption, but may not be distributed on a website.